Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blog #6

Ok so once again my blog is late.  I did not check it until tonight, (Sunday) so I had no idea it was due on Friday.  So here it goes........The critical analysis was on the movie "Beautiful Girls".   I found it very hard to write an analysis and not a summary.  It is hard to write a critique.  Unfortunately I did not like this movie.  And because I did not like it, I have found the assignment to be that much harder.  So I need to take a different perspective and write what I think and why I think the way I do.

I think to fix my paper, I will need to cite more stuff.  I never realized that you have to site so much.  I don't understand if you are changing something to your own words why it has to be cited.  And I still like to use the word "you" and should not.  I have to remember it is ok to have an opinoin and to just say it.  So I will work on rewriting this paper because I am using it as a learning tool.

I have found this to be a difficult paper to write and then rewrite.  I am concerned about writing the research paper.  I am struggling with the "why" and "when" something is cited.  Without having a clear understanding of citing it will be hard to write an excellent paper.

Time to work on the rewrite of "Beautiful  Girls". 

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you didn't like the movie. It gives a fresh perspective in the analysis. If you came up with an original idea -- it was your own (I'm pretty possessive of the "old information/new information" thing because that was mine), you would want people to know that it was your own idea. THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE TO CITE EVERYTHING THAT IS NOT YOURS -- EVEN IF YOU PUT IT IN YOUR OWN WORDS. We all use the word "you" in informal writing. It, and other pronouns, for that matter, offends the audience and makes them not want to read -- the author indicates that he/she is making assumptions about the audience.

    As far as the research paper is concerned, if you write every paragraph using TS/CD, then you will always know where to cite -- all of the CD's. This format keeps your sources from driving your paper. Instead, YOUR ideas drive the paper (with the CM's).

    ReplyDelete