Sunday, December 5, 2010

Blog 10!

So what did I really learn in English 102?  I learned that Owl Purdue is the best place to go to learn how to cite a source.  I have always used the Sons of Citation.  The Sons of Citation website is not always correct so I now use Owl Purdue and have found it to be more helpful.  Remembering that if it is not my own thought, I must cite is critical.  I certainly don’t want to be a “thief”.
            I have learned that if I use active verbs my paper will have a better impact on my audience.  Remembering to not use you & one will not offend my audience.  However I can start a sentence with I.  But I should not use, I think or I feel.  I should just state whatever I want to say because it is ok to have an opinion and to state that opinion. 
            One of the things that I like to use and should not is a contraction.  Contractions make it easier to use the wrong verb form.  A contraction also does not increase my word count.  I need to avoid them.
            When writing a paper, I should slow down and never ever turn in my rough draft.  My rough draft is a work in progress.  I should expect to have to rewrite a paper a couple of times before I turn it in.  The writing process has many stages, prewriting, drafting, rewriting, peer editing, final drafts and reflections are all the stages a writer should be taking.
            The most important thing I learned that if it is not my thought, I must cite it!

No comments:

Post a Comment